Workshops and Services
Workshops and Services
While we won’t be visiting with you at the market or your workplaces this year, our team is exploring ways to meet with you online and support you remotely.
If you haven’t completed the Shifting Gears Survey, please do so now. It will guide us in developing the workshops and services you are most in need of this year.
Shifting Gears Bike Commuter Consults
Over the last four years B!KE and GreenUP have used programs like Shop by Bike, Winter Wheels, and Shifting Gears as opportunities to work one-on-one with adults who are looking to integrate the bicycle into their daily lifestyle. As individuals we each have travel patterns and shopping habits that are unique, talking to someone with lived experience traveling by bike can provide valuable insight as to how a bike can fit into your life. Working with a bicycle professional is a great way to understand how your bike can be made to better fit your lifestyle, and your body.
Our Shifting Gears Bike Commuter Consults are an opportunity to make your own bike more comfortable for you, learn how to make your bike more mechanically sound, and install equipment that will enhance your experience carrying things like groceries or a change of clothes. A one-on-one session is a great way to build your confidence and ensure that you are well equipped to make daily trips by bicycle.
The Consult includes:
- Contact-less drop-off and pick-up of your bike at B!KE so that a mechanic can complete a bike check and install your new gear.
- A video call or phone call with a bike mechanic to discuss your bike, your needs, and how to improve your ride.
- Installation of one free piece of Shifting Gears bike gear. You can choose between a bike rack, basket, lock, mirror, floor pump, or set of LED lights.
In 2020, we would like to offer this program primarily to people in our community who are working in essential services to keep our community safe, healthy, connected, and fed. We recognize that some of you may not be in these lines of work, but still require your bike for essential trips around town, so please contact Lindsay to find out about availability.
40 spaces are currently open! Sign up here, today!
Past Workshops and Services for Workplaces that we may be able to take online:
Shifting Gears has offered many workshops and services to workplace in the past. Though we have limited availability this year, we may be able to accommodate your request. Please get in touch with Lindsay to discuss possibilities.
- Cyclist in the City: Learn strategies to be visible, comfortable and safe when cycling on the road. This workshop is for newbies and experienced cyclists alike. (time required = 45 minutes).
- ABC’s of Bicycle Maintenance: Address common bike repair needs and learn the ABC’s of bike maintenance. (time required = 60 minutes).
- Peterborough by Bike Presentation: Get the inside scoop on upcoming bike-friendly projects from the City of Peterborough’s TDM Planner and members of the Peterborough Bicycle Advisory Committee.
We also offer the following free services to employers and workplace coordinators,
- Crafting a Work-from-Home/Telecommute Policy: Boost productivity, increase job satisfaction, and even save on rent! Achieve the many benefits of telecommuting, while ensuring that your employees and their work is supported, by crafting a Telecommute Policy with Shifting Gears.
- Bike-friendly Business Audit: We can help you conduct a bike-friendly business audit! Find ways to make it easier for employees to bike to and for work. Answer all your questions about bike racks, fix-it kits, Bike-to-Work Day, and workplace bike share programs.
- Incentivize your Smart Commute: Learn from the best practices of other employers to find ways of encouraging employees to go car-free, if only once in a while. We can help you find the policies and programs that are a perfect match for your employees.
Community Events and Workshops:
The workshops offered above could be opened up for community participation. We are also happy to discuss your ideas and work to create some online workshops or events together. Please connect with Lindsay if you are interested in a little collaboration!