Workshops and Services
Workshops and Services
While we won’t be visiting with you at the market or your workplaces this year, our team is exploring ways to meet with you online and support you remotely.
A brand new program, supported by United Way Peterborough & District and the Government of Canada, to provide access to equipment and learning supports to individuals in our community who are ready to move from non-rider to confident commuter.
With Finding Balance, you will receive bike equipment and support needed to make a big, positive change in your life!
Apply this fall to receive:
- A refurbished bicycle with the gear required to lawfully and comfortably commute in Peterborough (e.g. helmet, bell, lights, rack, and lock).
- Up to 3 riding skills sessions with experienced cycling instructors to build your confidence and skill.
- Assistance from a volunteer bike mentor, who will help you navigate your individual travel needs into spring 2021.
With new confidence to use a bicycle for transportation and recreation many claim to realize a variety of benefits including:
- Access to reliable transportation for essential trips.
- Access to a community of support that offers encouragement and assistance.
- Freedom to move through the city on their own schedule and directly to the places they need to go.
- Another means of fitting physical activity and/or exercise into their week.
- Being able to participate in family activities that they were previously excluded from.
- Very possibly, four-season transportation.
- Reconnecting with a part of themselves that feels joy while independently riding down a trail on a beautiful day, or pride and adventure when that day turns rainy and windy (someone said that and we love it!)
As a requirement of our funding, priority in Fall 2020 will be given to applicants who self-identify as one or more of the following: youth 19-29, people of low income or living in poverty, Indigenous, Newcomer, women and girls, and/or essential workers. If you do not identify as part of one or more of these populations, please complete the application and we will be in touch if more spaces become available.
To apply click here!
This is a program of Shifting Gears, brought to you by GreenUP. The program is possible with special funding from the Government of Canada and the United Way Peterborough & District
Past Workshops and Services for Workplaces that we may be able to take online:
Shifting Gears has offered many workshops and services to workplace in the past. Though we have limited availability this year, we may be able to accommodate your request. Please get in touch with Lindsay to discuss possibilities.
- Cyclist in the City: Learn strategies to be visible, comfortable and safe when cycling on the road. This workshop is for newbies and experienced cyclists alike. (time required = 45 minutes).
- ABC’s of Bicycle Maintenance: Address common bike repair needs and learn the ABC’s of bike maintenance. (time required = 60 minutes).
- Peterborough by Bike Presentation: Get the inside scoop on upcoming bike-friendly projects from the City of Peterborough’s TDM Planner and members of the Peterborough Bicycle Advisory Committee.
We also offer the following free services to employers and workplace coordinators,
- Crafting a Work-from-Home/Telecommute Policy: Boost productivity, increase job satisfaction, and even save on rent! Achieve the many benefits of telecommuting, while ensuring that your employees and their work is supported, by crafting a Telecommute Policy with Shifting Gears.
- Bike-friendly Business Audit: We can help you conduct a bike-friendly business audit! Find ways to make it easier for employees to bike to and for work. Answer all your questions about bike racks, fix-it kits, Bike-to-Work Day, and workplace bike share programs.
- Incentivize your Smart Commute: Learn from the best practices of other employers to find ways of encouraging employees to go car-free, if only once in a while. We can help you find the policies and programs that are a perfect match for your employees.
Community Events and Workshops:
The workshops offered above could be opened up for community participation. We are also happy to discuss your ideas and work to create some online workshops or events together. Please connect with Lindsay if you are interested in a little collaboration!