Maps & Resources
Maps & Resources
Maps & Resources
Visit this page often for new tools and engaging videos to help you shift gears in 2020!
Spring has brought with it may new and unexpected changes this year. The ways we work, learn, travel, and socialize have been impacted greatly by COVID-19 and our collective efforts to keep our community safe. Some of us have transitioned quickly to working from home, while others are looking for safe commute options. We are spending a lot more time at home, and looking for ways to stay active and connected. These impacts are being experienced by all ages. Below we have begun to collect resources to help through this time. Please be in touch if you have other resources you would like to share.
Working from Home
Tips from the Pros
- CanWaCH provides a fantastic collection of resources, complete with helpful webinar.
- Charity Village shares tips on managing your day from a home office.
- SafetyWing shows you how to navigate key issues with working remotely
- Share the Road provides insights from over 45 years worth of remote working experience.
Setting up your Work Area
- Entrac provides a Practical Guide to Ergonomics and Temporary Work From Home.
- Desjardins Insurance suggests how to set up your space for success. Note: This article has a helpful list of things to consider, but the follow through may be difficult in our current circumstances.
- themuse shares creative tips for how to maintain company culture and relationships while working from home.
- Atlassian provides a collection of virtual team building activities to stay connected and have fun.
Riding the Bus
- Peterborough Transit provides the latest on route, schedule, and recommended practices during the COVID-19 pandemic
Riding your Bike(s)!
Learn the Rules of the Road
- The Ministry of Transportation has a series of guides on rules of the road including, Bike Safety 101, Ontario’s Guide to Safe Cycling, and the Young Cyclist’s Guide.
- CAN-Bike shares a bunch of videos, including some of our favourites such as Bike Helmets 101 and Bike Handling created by CAN-Bike Manitoba
Learning to Ride
- Sikana English shares all the secrets to learning to ride. They have one short video series on learning to ride as an adult and another on how to teach your child.
Bike Repair and Maintenance
- Why does it always feel so hard to pump a tire? The Global Cycling Network shares tips on how to make it a lot easier.
- Pumping a kid’s bike tire can be even more painful, but not after you watch this video!
- SUSTRANS and the Telegraph show you how to do an ABC Quick Check in this 2 minute video. It’s a great way to know your bike is ready to ride!
- The Active Transportation Alliance walks you through an ABC quick check in this animated video.
- The experts at Park Tool let you dig a bit deeper into the topic with their Repair Help Blog and YouTube channel
- This video from the OPP provides key tips on how to lock your bike to deter theft.
- Momentum Magazine details the dos and don’ts of locking your bike in this article.
Local Bike Shops
- B!KE has closed their community workshop space in an effort to do their part to flatten the curve. They are missing their shop community and hope to meet your needs in new ways. B!KE is offering a small selection of tools on loan through a new pilot library program, accepting orders for pumps and chain lube to be delivered to your door, and selling our refurbished bicycles online through Kijiji. They are excited to see so many people eager to ride bikes this spring and we look forward to helping more of Peterborough stay on two wheels after the pandemic has subsided.
- Fontaine Source for Sports is now open with limited customers in store at one time. They are offering curb-side pick-up and by appointment sales and services, if needed. They have found there is high demand! It’s a challenge with less staff, but they are working hard to meet the needs of the community. If you have questions about their hours and services, they welcome a call at 705-742-0511.
- Green Streets physical repair shop is still open. They ask that you bring your bike to the side door and knock for assistance. All business is conducted outside to help maintain social distancing practices.
- Wild Rock is now open Tuesday – Saturday from 10am-5pm. They are also offering online shopping and contact-free bike service. Wild Rock is here to make sure you have everything to keep you riding safely this spring. They are adapting and learning, and hope that if there is a silver lining it is that we create stronger bonds to family, friends and community, albeit in new and evolving ways.
- Spokes and Pedals is happy to help you find the right bike or get your current bike rolling smooth. They are offering sales and repair services, curb-side. You can call in advance or call when you get there (705-745-7343), and someone will meet you outside to help you find what you need.
Maps of Peterborough
- Peterborough Transit provides a downloadable map and an interactive map to help you plan your trip through the city. NOTE: Changes due to COVID-19 might make information in these maps inaccurate for the time being. It is best to visit the Peterborough Transit website directly for up-to-date routes and schedules.
Bike and Trail Maps
- Peterborough and the Kawarthas Tourism, in partnership with the City, County and expert local cyclists created a trail and cycling map for the city and county to help you navigate and explore the area.
- The Peterborough and the Kawarthas Classics signed routes that start and finish in Millenium Park by the Silver Bean Cafe along the waterfront in downtown Peterborough.
- Te Bike to the Borough Project shares shorter routes in and around the city of Peterborough. This site also maps a suggested connection into and out of Peterborough from the new Green Belt Route that runs south of Rice Lake along the moraine all the way into Toronto.