Shifting Gears Challenge
Hello Peterborough and welcome to Shifting Gears 2020!
We’ve made some big changes to Shifting Gears this year in response to the ways that COVID-19 is impacting our community (read more here). What hasn’t changed is our commitment to helping our community shift smoothly towards the new daily norms, whether they be voluntary, mandatory, exciting, or frustrating.
What are the latest changes?
- As work and transportation options continue to shift, Shifting Gears will continue to share news, opportunities, and supports through the summer months:
- FREE Shifting Gears Bike Commuter Consults will continue to run through June, and are now open up to all community members. Thanks to Jean and Tegan for creating more spots for eager bike commuters!
- #PedalPowerFromHome brings the popular in-school cycling education program on-line for the whole family to enjoy. (psst…adults can learn quite a bit from this program too!)
- Commute Ontario is running Bike Month Ontario with a tracking tool and excellent prizes, for those looking to continue logging trips
- The City of Peterborough is developing a new Cycling Master Plan and is looking for your feedback on how to make Peterborough a more bike-friendly city. Take the survey, fill in the map, and add your voice to the process!
- Our Program Resources will continue to be updated with tips, tools, and more to help you, your family, or your workplace navigate changes to the ways we go about daily work, school, play, shop, and travel.
How to Participate:
1. Register for Shifting Gears TODAY!
**NOTE: All participants are required to register for the 2020 challenge. Past participant details have been removed from the system so that we can update our contact information and learn more about your goals for 2020.
2. Log your trips this May
This year, all trips count! Whether you are walking your dog, commuting to work, out to get groceries, or even taking a bike ride with your kids, they all count. Log your trips daily or weekly to be eligible for great prizes. Remember that each trip counts – from home to the grocery store is one trip, and the grocery store to home is a second. Check our FAQ‘s for more info on how families and workplaces can track trips this spring.
3. Learn and share with the Shifting Gears community
Since we won’t be seeing you at the market or your workplaces this year, we plan to be even more available on Shifting Gears’ social platforms, so tune into our Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook pages for news and tips, shared by some familiar faces. You can also share you experiences again this year by tagging #shiftinggearsptbo! Last, but absolutely not least, B!KE is onboard again this year to provide Shifting Gears Bike Commuter Consults to those in essential services or making essential trips! Click here to get more info on how you can set yourself up with some new gear and lots of know-how to help build comfort and confidence in bike commuting.
4. Track your progress and win prizes!
It can be hard to create new habits, but seeing those trips add up week after week, being part of a big community doing the very same thing, and having the chance to win great prizes along the way can help ease the shift and make it fun. We look forward to supporting and celebrating you this spring!